Matt has been a published photographer specializing in landscape, travel and tourism photography for ten years. He teaches photography to beginners as well as experienced photographers.
Matt is an avid hiker and camper, and has traveled the West Coast extensively. It was Vancouver Island’s unique beauty which inspired him to choose a career in photography.
Matt’s expertise, infectious enthusiasm for life, and wilderness experience makes him the perfect host and guide.
Welcome to the exhilarating West Coast of Vancouver Island! Our Trek West lead-vehicle will guide you along Juan De Fuca’s spectacular Island coastline, from Sooke to Sombrio Beach.
You will encounter dazzling waterfalls; tread ancient coastal forests; comb dramatic beaches, with its roaring surf; view panoramic vistas and visit intimate Island treasures.
We all aspire to evocative photography. It is captivating and elevating, astonishing audiences. It conveys alluring beauty and preserves stories for generations. Regardless of your current skills, TrekWest will help develop your image-capturing potential, with professional coaching, providing you with keys for creating your own extraordinary photos.
This journey along the wild, wandering Juan De Fuca coast will refresh you with wonder. Capture arresting memories and take home the thrill of your adventure!
Trip & Activity Information:
Here is a 3 day example Itinerary:
What IS included:
- photography instruction from an experienced photographer that specialize in nature, commercial and aerial photography
- demo LEE Photography filters (and step up rings)
- demo FLM Canada tripods
- F-Stop Gear backpack discount code for registered participants
-Both Bottled water and a large jug of water to re-fill your water containers or travel mugs
What is NOT included:
- medical insurance is required for this remote access trip (read below before you register)
- trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance
- transportation to and from Port McNeil
- your personal items and camera gear
Recommended Camera Gear:
Camera – DSLR, camera on your phone
• Camera Manual (hard copy or PDF)
• Ba7eries – Bring extra baEeries as you don’t want to be caught with a dead baEery when it’s [me to shoot.
• Storage Media – Bring as many CF, SD or other types of cards that your camera uses as you feel necessary, and
plan for 3 addi[onal. You can download your images during the day, but considering how rela[vely inexpensive
storage cards are today, having addi[onal ones on hand are a good insurance for failed cards.
• Lens/Camera Cleaning Equipment – Lens wipes, clothes, & sensor cleaning supplies.
• Tripod – a sturdy tripod with a good head is essen[al.
• Backpack – A comfortable backpack to hold your equipment.
• Rain gear for you and your camera.
• Pen/notebook to take notes.
• Flashlight or headlamp
Recommended Clothing & Gear:
• Dress in layers given the changing weather conditions during the day
• Sturdy waterproof hiking boots
• Fleece or down Jacket or any warm sweater
• Warm Hat and Gloves
• Rain gear for you and your camera/equipment
• Water Bottle
• Small back pack for snacks, water bottle, and additional clothing (hat, jacket, gloves…etc)
• Cooler for food.
• Day 1 - Lunch meal and Evening meal (Depending on preference to eat out or not)
• Day 2 - Lunch (Tom’s home cooking) and Evening meal (Depending on preference to eat
out or not)
• Day 3 - Lunch (Tom’s Home Cooking)
• Headlamp (I will bring extra for use)
• Pillow and blanket if you want to sleep on the drive
• Extra socks for wet conditions.
• Change of shoes for evenings at your accommodations.
Payment & Cancellation Policy:
- $199 + 5% GST due at time of booking
- workshop is held rain or shine
- liability waiver must be signed prior to workshop
- no refunds, unless we decide to cancel the workshop for unforeseen reasons then a 100% refund is given (i.e. we are sick or injured, a hurricane is in the area, etc.)
- payment accepted by PayPal, e-transfer to Matt@mattshannonphotography.com - Canada only, (e transfer amount is $208.95 including GST)
VERY IMPORTANT - READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK
Please book your insurance at http://www.tailwindtravel.ca/ and click on the insurance icon to the right of the middle pop up window. Or click this link https://www.igoinsured.com/direct/Step1.aspx Note, the igoinsured link has been erratic lately. If this is still the case, please call Mike directly at the number provided below.
o. 250 419 4544
c. 250 415 7665
Note, Matt & I are not qualified to consult on insurance. We will direct you to call Mike.
* NOTE VERY IMPORTANT:
The travel insurance including cancel for any reason must be purchased within 72 hours of your booking / deposit being made. We CANNOT change this policy. After your register, BUY your insurance.